It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Ultimate Adrmiral - Age of Sail
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 10277
Games-labs, the creator of Ultimate General - Civil War (a really awesome game available on steam) has rolled out their official web site for their next project: Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail.

https://www.ultimateadmiral.com/

There are a couple videos there so you can see some developer video, but as I am a tester for the game, I can't go into much detail. I will try to keep this thread updated on any news though.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Adrmiral - Age of Sail
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I wish you luck with that.

I spent the better part of 2 years playing “early access” (aka not a “tester” working under an NDA, but “testing the game nonetheless) for Naval Action, another product from Game Labs.

I see ALOT of Naval Action in the video that you posted.

The visuals (the ships, the sea, the lands, etc) look brilliant in the game.
The developers did a great job at that.

Where they underperformed, with Naval Action, was in the game mechanics.
The world, outside of controlling your individual ship, was at times confusing, inconsistent, and always changing. The devs had some bad habits....when they saw that mechanic X was not quite working, they sometimes (or often times) would make wholesale changes. On other words, rather than making a slight 5% “change” to something, they would do a complete 180 degree change. This often time did not work, and infuriated the player base in the process of doing so. It disenchanted much of the player base, and those players left. I Ultimate(ly) [see what I did there] left the game as well.

During its peak, Naval Action had 3 PVP servers and a PVE server, and might have 5,000+ players logged into the game at peak times. Now they have (last I checked) 2 servers (one PvP and one PVE) and might at peak have around 750-800 players logged into the game.

As information, Naval Action is still in early release (has not been final released)

I posted under the
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17612&hilit=Naval+action

For my thoughts and feelings on that game.

I also posted in your earlier thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20546&start=0&hilit=Naval+action

The devs had on several occasion posted in the Naval Action forums that there might one day be a “Naval Action II”.

I suspect that “Ultimate Admiral-Age of Sail” is “Naval Action II”, only by using the word “Ultimate” in the title they are trying to leverage their more successful “Ultimate General” game, than tie themselves to the less successful “Naval Action” effort.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 10277
chijohnaok wrote:
I suspect that “Ultimate Admiral-Age of Sail” is “Naval Action II”, only by using the word “Ultimate” in the title they are trying to leverage their more successful “Ultimate General” game, than tie themselves to the less successful “Naval Action” effort.

Possible, but I don't think so.

UA:AoS is a single player strategy game. I look at it as a continuation of the Ultimate General series as they move into different eras with a new gaming engine.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:36 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Lava wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Possible, but I don't think so.

UA:AoS is a single player strategy game. I look at it as a continuation of the Ultimate General series as they move into different eras with a new gaming engine.

Well, if it is single player then it is definitely closer to UG than it is to Naval Action.
Based on my watching that one YT video I still suspect that this new game though likely borrows some from NA, at least with regards to the ships and "naval" portion of the game.

Again, just my 2 cents.
I had thousands of hours in on Naval Action and have never played Ultimate Admiral - Age of Sail so take it for what it's worth.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19062
There were a couple of good age of sail naval games back in the day, which I had some good fun with.

East India Company

There was also a Pirate expansion for that one if I recall.

Conquest of the Americas

Seems like there was one other one from the same studio that was more Napoleonic . . . hmmm, cannot recall that last one. Definitely recall a game that I associate in my memory with those two from Nitro but looking at Nitro's website I don't see anything. Anyway, it was pretty similar to what the videos are showing for the Ultimate Admiral. I probably own it either on GOG or the Paradox distribution site (the name of which I can never recall . . .).

Profile E-mail