maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 12802
Quote:
It IS nothing but a big dumb maritime target at this point!

Well that's probably true of ALL warships, when they are first undergoing sea trials.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The Russians have no room to talk. Half of their "warships" need a repair tender in the task force and one carrier has like ten working heads on the whole ship. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
jack t ripper wrote:
The Russians have no room to talk. Half of their "warships" need a repair tender in the task force and one carrier has like ten working heads on the whole ship. :)

True, but who knows how well they would perform in an actual war? I mean, obviously they are outgunned when it comes to sheer naval/air firepower, but as we all know, one can squander a firepower advantage fairly easily . . .

I suspect we would whup their asses, but who knows . . . their "thresholds" are not the same as ours. Losing 50% of their warships, with all hands lost, but managing to cause enough casualties/losses/economic damage against an adversary that the range of options were dramatically curtailed down to the range of "negotiate for peace" might well be a "victory" by Soviet, erm . . . I mean Russian standards.

They "beat" Napoleon by sacrificing thousands of soldiers and civilians and destroying many years worth of national growth and they are quite proud of that it seems. Everything about their national ethos seems to revolve around this same theme of : quantity has a quality all its own and who fucking cares if half your junk is utter crap . . . if you have 10 times as much junk you are still at an advantage.

One of our perennial weaknesses, even as far back as the American Civil War, is to assume that our adversaries view on the meaning of war/peace, victory/defeat, etc. is the same as ours. We caused 10 or 20 to 1 casualties to the VC and NVA and they just kept weaseling their way back into villages all over the place, intimidating villagers and maintaining a presence everywhere they wanted. They got their asses handed to them on Tet, but in "our" minds we lost . . . Same thing in most wars we've ever fought with a few exceptions.

The way we win wars is by going TOTAL, and effectively REQUIRING patriotic solidarity. We find this hard to accept because we are by nature, moderate, friendly, peaceful, compassionate, tolerant, and easy-going.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Sounds like an innovative war game

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Anyone who has Amazon TV should watch "The Dawns are Quiet Here"....Russian backwater AAA site gets women soldiers and one male sergeant and SS comandos drop into the woods.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Oh hell yes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:11 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 11492
jack t ripper wrote:
Anyone who has Amazon TV should watch "The Dawns are Quiet Here"....Russian backwater AAA site gets women soldiers and one male sergeant and SS comandos drop into the woods.
It's on youtube,

plus the original 1972 ver. w/eng

Have seen the 72 ver, pretty good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:12 am 
Sergeant Major

Didn't know it was a remake. The new was has two nude group bathing scenes. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:20 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 11492
jack t ripper wrote:
Didn't know it was a remake. The new was has two nude group bathing scenes. :lol:
Yes, Ning found out and I can't watch it :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:46 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 12802

Quote:
... New Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson stood in front of a room of airmen in the Pentagon recently and presented an unconventional proposal. What, she asked, if she eliminated every single one of the Air Force’s regulations and required service members to ask for the ones they need back?

Wilson paused for a moment, and dozens of airmen in the room laughed. It was a “bad idea,” she acknowledged, but then she pressed her point. The Air Force has too much bureaucracy, too many regulations and too many people stuck doing busy work, she said, as several senior officers sat listening.

“Now, we all still want to drive on the right side of the street and so on, but some of these things are not only not written in the English language, but if something goes wrong we’re going to say, ‘Oh, you didn’t follow Air Force instruction 210-dash-2.1, subparagraph X, and we’re going to hold you accountable,'” she said, according to a video viewed by The Washington Post. “It’s like, are you kidding me? And you know, there’s a whole bookshelf of these.”

Wilson concluded: “Let’s not try to tell them how to do everything. Let’s tell them what to do, and let them surprise us with their ingenuity.” ...

A perfect example of air farce culture can be seen in the actions of SAC during the XMAS bombing of 1972. For instance prescribing post drop turns, invented for nuclear bombing, but worse than irrelevant over Hanoi, since this maneuver exposed the B-52 to SAM fire, by both dramatically reducing the jamming power of their ECM and turning them in to the wind, to cause them to "hang" in the air during these turns. The whole story of the Hanoi bombing is one of a force who spent its time at peace and did not understand war ... before the bombing was over, SAC fired itself and let the line commanders run the show and the crazy loses stopped. The airfarce has a history of "over control" .. perhaps a bit understandable when we realize they are responsible for controlling a nuclear force. But lessons should be learned ... and officially they are not. The official airfarce history of the hanoi bombing praises SAC tactics. Which is not only an embarrassment to the truth, but disrespectful to the men who fought and died. The airfarce does need to fix this aspect.
I will discuss this further in the VN thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/07/03/heather-wilson-left-a-troubled-home-for-the-air-force-now-shes-in-charge-and-pressing-for-a-culture-change-in-her-service/?tid=pm_world_pop

As to Heather's culture change? Good luck, it needs to happen, but I'd give her 1 chance in 50 to make it happen.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 29  Next