maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Search underway for teenage soccer team trapped in Thai
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:15 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978

Quote:
Thai cave rescue: Drones, dogs, drilling and desperation
30 June 2018

Last Saturday, 12 young boys went to explore a cave with their coach after football practice in northern Thailand.

Their bikes were found abandoned at the entrance and shortly after, heavy rain sent torrents of water through the cave.

Over the past week, rescuers have been mounting an increasingly desperate search, in the hope the group are alive deep inside the cave but trapped by floodwaters.

Here's what the operation, in the jungle-covered hills around Chiang Rai, involves:
Expert divers

Thai navy divers been trying to access the deepest caverns of the Tham Luang Nang Non cave, the fourth longest in Thailand.

Four top British cave divers, along with some US military personnel, also joined the efforts.
Image copyright Facebook/ekatol
Image caption A Facebook photo shows the coach with what is thought to be his football team

The divers are swimming through tiny spaces and cannot risk going too far into flooded passages or they risk running out of air.

The search has been frustrated by rushing water and near darkness inside the cave. Debris and mud leaves divers with almost no visibility; they can only see a few centimetres in front of them.

It's been described as like swimming through cold coffee.
__video__
(Continued)
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44652397

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
It's been a week since this first occurred.

I really do hope that by some miracle they are all still alive and that somehow a means will be found to locate and rescue them.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 pm 
buck private

chijohnaok wrote:

I really do hope that by some miracle they are all still alive and that somehow a means will be found to locate and rescue them.
So do I, yesterday a famous psychic Monk came to the site and said there will be good news in a day or two ... hope he's right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
For once good news: Twelve children and their football coach found alive after going missing in Thai cave more than a week ago.

:D

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
Holy fuck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8891
abradley wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

So do I, yesterday a famous psychic Monk came to the site and said there will be good news in a day or two ... hope he's right.

Did the monk make any other predictions?

Glad the kids are OK. It didn't look good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
buck private

CatLover7 wrote:
Did the monk make any other predictions?

Glad the kids are OK. It didn't look good.
No other predictions.

As far as the boys, how do they get them out? They're deep in a mountain, surrounded by passages filled with water, it took expert divers to find them.

The video on Channel news Asia: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... i-10492702

It's 3 am here, will have to wait for Ning to wake for the local Thai view.

It's big news.

Last edited by abradley on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15052
If they're within 100 feet of the surface I'd bore a fuckin hole. Screw the rainforest.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
Obviously the first thing to do would be to get some decent bivvy gear and food in to them. Now that they have found them, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Depending on the nature of the water filled passages separating them from the entrance, kitting them up with a tank and going in tow with a diver one by one might be an option. Probably not, but possible.

Draining the pooled water is another option and I'd say the most likely best option. Tunneling I wouldn't advise unless I was REALLY familiar with that limestone and confident as fuck that it was stable. Over the medium to long term many caves are actually quite unstable. Your chance of getting squished during any given visit is quite low, but spend enough time in caves and you will encounter rockfall, and you just might be unlucky enough for it to kill you. I can think of 3 incidents over the past 25 years in National Speleological Society, Annual Caving Accident Reports of experienced cavers, just doing their thing, nothing out of the ordinary, piece of breakdown "decided" now is the time to cut lose and SPLAT!

One guy was killed in a cave in Virgnia by a rock the size of a car that shifted as he was going past it. It was a route that hundreds of cavers had taken over the many years the cave had been visited. He was just plain unlucky. ~50,000 pounds of rock just happened to squash his head.

Another one I can remember was in a very famous cave in Alabama called Valhalla. Large open-air pit with a mile or so of passages at the bottom of it. I forget its stats but I want to say ~240 ft deep from rig point.

Down inside at the bottom, there is(was) a large alcove off to one side a bit around the corner from where the rope hangs when you rig from the most sensible spot at the lip. I've been there once years ago and this alcove is really big . . . like . . . big enough for a couple large houses stacked on top of each other to fit under there.

Because there is a reasonable amount of loose rock around the rig spot (which no amount of gardening has ever been able to get rid of) and thus anyone negotiating the rope can cause some rock fall, this alcove was always considered the safest place for party members to wait while their buddy climbed or abseiled the rope: out of rock fall zone.

In 1984, there was a team of three who had visited the cave. After their trip one guy was climbing while his buddies waited. He says that as he was about 2/3 up the rope, he heard this enormous thundering crash and the entire pit filled with dust. He called to his buddies but no answer. He determined his best bet was to get out of the pit and make a call to 911 and he did.

A 30x30feet chunk of the "ceiling" just happened to flake off as they were sheltering waiting to ascend out. Took them several days to dig the bodies out if I recall. Limestone weighs abot 150 pounds per cubic foot, so assuming that chunk that squashed those guys was 10ft thick (30*30*10 = 9000 ft^3 * 150 = 1,350,000 pounds of rock! That is 612,349.7 kg of rock for our Euro cousins!

When you are underground, you could have that type of shit dangling over your head up there in the shadows at any time. It might be balanced on a broomstick-sized prop, or otherwise _barely_ held in place, and if that little bit of support fails: KABOOM!

So, tunneling as if it were quarry or a gold mine wouldn't necessarily be the safest bet!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next